First, they sutured the Dura closed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dura_mater), which they've done before. This time they will try to reduce the spinal fluid pressure so that it isn't constantly flowing out the ruptured area. A drain at the base of her spine was placed so that over the next 5 days, as she lies on her back, they can drain out 5-10 cc's of fluid per hour. YES, I said 5 days on her back in bed, crappy! The amount they'll drain is the same amount that her body is producing. The plan is that the compromised area will then have a chance to heal without being constantly forced open from the pressure of the escaping fluid.
Tuesday, December 6, 2011
3rd Times a Charm
This afternoons procedure went well and Cassie is back in her room. For all of you keeping track at home, this was her 3rd surgery. As it turns out the liquid that was building up under her incision was spinal fluid, that's the good news because it wasn't nasty infected fluid... The bad news is spinal fluid isn't supposed to be there, the fix is a bit more complicated.
Momma Knows Best
If you'll recall, last Wednesday (30-Nov) Ali was sure that they needed to take Cassie in for another wash out surgery. They have tried everything possible to avoid that procedure, but it has come down to needing to go in again. We are scheduled to go to the O.R. at 3:00pm and it shouldn't take much more than an hour. Our original surgeon, Dr. Riva-Cambrin is here to do the procedure so we are very pleased with that.
Her incision has began draining as of this morning and you can see fluid bulging under her skin. This might sound strange, but we are relieved to have her going back in. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers over the next few hours. THANKS!
BTW, the Echocardiograph that she had this morning came back perfect. Yeah!
Her incision has began draining as of this morning and you can see fluid bulging under her skin. This might sound strange, but we are relieved to have her going back in. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers over the next few hours. THANKS!
BTW, the Echocardiograph that she had this morning came back perfect. Yeah!
Monday, December 5, 2011
Editorial Retraction
And we're back, after unexplained high fever and some concerning lab results, our Doctors felt that it would be best for us to return to the hospital. We've been re-admitted and have some tests scheduled for tomorrow morning. We'll keep you posted as we learn more.
Sunday, December 4, 2011
Fingers Crossed, We're Coming Home
Cassie had her new PICC line placed this morning, it went well. She will be receiving antibiotics for another 2-5 weeks through that line. Our nurse just came in to tell us that if we would like, they could probably send us home tonight. We are all for that plan! 16 days at PCMC is enough for us.
We really appreciate the love and support of everybody, you have truly buoyed is up though this experience. We are not out of the woods yet, and even though we are excited to show off our little trooper, she needs a few more weeks of recuperation time.
We really appreciate the love and support of everybody, you have truly buoyed is up though this experience. We are not out of the woods yet, and even though we are excited to show off our little trooper, she needs a few more weeks of recuperation time.
Friday, December 2, 2011
Hello Elliot
Thursday, December 1, 2011
No News is Good News
Last night Cassie began receiving her antibiotic through the traditional I.V., we are pleased to report that she did NOT experience the burning sensation they thought she would. In fact, she slept right through both rounds last night and has been her fun loving self all day.
All good signs in anticipation of test results that we are waiting for tomorrow morning. If her inflammation levels come down we'll know that the PICC line was the only problem. If they go up the Surgeons will have to decide whether to take her back to the O.R. for another irrigation procedure. We are also waiting on blood cultures, if they don't grow, we will know the blood infection has cleared up. It just takes time so we are playing the waiting game.
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)
